Gwendolyn J Elliott Institute
Vision & Mission
The Gwendolyn J. Elliott Institute supports research, provides training and serves as a clearinghouse for best practices in research and programming that empowers young girls and women.
The mission of the Institute is to provide expertise in the fields of research and training for individuals and organizations working with girls.
Kathi Elliott, DNP, MSW, CRNP, Chief Executive Officer, Gwen’s Girls
Kimberly Booth, Allegheny County Juvenile Probation
Betty Braxter, PhD, CNM
Britney Brinkman, PhD, Point Park University
Randi Congleton, PhD, Chatham University
Amanda Cross, PhD, University of Pittsburgh Office of Child Development
Willa Doswell, RN, PhD, FAAN
Sara Goodkind, PhD, MSW, University of Pittsburgh
Nancy Hubley, Esq., Education Law Center
Andrea Joseph, PhD, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Lynn Knezevich, Gwen’s Girls Volunteer and past Executive Director
Azadeh Masalehdan Block, PhD, MSW, California University of PA
Jessica Ruffin, MBA, Allegheny County Department of Human Services
Ryan Scott, Carlow University
Angela Steele, MSW, Allegheny County Office of Children Youth and Family Services
Allegheny County DHS CYF
Allegheny County Juvenile Probation
Brilliantly Blessed Community Health and Wellness
Center for Family Excellence
Center for Victims
Communities in Schools
Educational Compliance Associates
Education Law Center
Healthy Start, Inc.
Infinite Life Solutions
Jewish Healthcare Foundation
The Midwife Center for Birth and Women’s Health
New Voices Pittsburgh
Office of Mayor Peduto, City of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Action Against Rape
Pittsburgh for CEDAW Coalition
Planned Parenthood of Western Pennsylvania
Social Justice Institutes at Carlow University
University of Pittsburgh Department of Pediatrics, Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine
University of Pittsburgh, Office of Child Development (OCD)
university of Pittsburgh, School of Social Work
Women and Girls Foundation
Women’s Law Project
Youth Support Partner Unit
Azadeh Masalehdan Block, MSW, PhD
Dr. Christine White Taylor
Friends Service Committee Pittsburgh
The Rock Family Foundation
Rosalie Smiley, PhD, MPH< LSW
Youth Undoing Institutional Racism (YUIR)/American
More info to come!
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
- Identify, plan, and implement new research projects
- Provide support for research, education, and outreach efforts.
- Build partnerships with and among non-profit, government and research communities.
- Develop training and education programs aimed at addressing knowledge gaps for African American girls and young women.
- Participate and organize local, state, regional, and national conferences.
- Serve as a clearinghouse for documents, reports, and relevant educational materials for educators and professionals on the needs and strengths of African American girls and young women.
- Advocate for policy changes and improved practices within organizations that serve or otherwise engage with African American girls.