Gwen’s Girls, a Pittsburgh-based nonprofit that provides gender-specific programs, education and experiences to girls and young women, will host its 4th Annual Equity Summit and Awards Reception September 26-27, 2019 at the University of Pittsburgh. The summit, Intersectionality: Gender, Race and Systemic Implications for Black Girls, is a direct result of a countywide effort to address the structural inequities and subsequent disparities experienced by black girls in the community.
For the first time publicly, the City of Pittsburgh and the Gender Equity Commission will release data from its soon-to-be published report, documenting intersectional gender discrimination in Pittsburgh.
The two-day summit features national voices and an exclusive screening of the new documentary film PUSHOUT: The Criminalization of Black Girls in Schools.
Hear from dynamic keynote speakers, including:
- Professor Kimberlé Crenshaw, leading authority in the area of civil rights, Black feminist legal theory, and race, racism, and the law. She coined the term intersectionality;
- Dr. Venus Evans-Winters, therapist, author and researcher with a focus on educational policy analysis and racial trauma inside and outside of schools;
- Dr. Jamilia Blake, clinical psychologist, researcher and leading voice on the construct of Adultification of Black Girls; and
- Dr. Monique W. Morris, co-founder of the National Black Women’s Justice Institute, author and documentary producer.
Attendants will also celebrate succcess and the See the Best in Me honorees, including:
- Marcia Bandes, Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) Pittsburgh
- Judge Kim Clark, Allegheny County President Judge
- Mary Phan Gruber, Jefferson Regional Foundation
- Lynne Hayes-Freeland, KDKA TV News & KDKA NewsRadio
- Joyce James, Racial Equity Consultant
- Dr. Elizabeth Miller, UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
Once you register, grab a badge! Share this post on Facebook with friends and colleagues.
Still need to register to attend the summit? Click here.